I found the lecture today quite helpful in deepening my understanding of cultural remixing as a source of inspiration and ideas.
The idea of using rules set in past mediums (shadowplay being the example given), and building design from these bones seems quite similar to what Lev Manovich has to say about remixing culture.
By bringing these influences into ones design process, a much richer outcome, with more meaning and basis is formed.
I don't think the consumer of whatever it is that you have designed is necessarily aware of this deeper source of inspiration. The influence it has on the thought process involved in the design process, however, becomes apparent in the final outcome.
I suppose what I'm trying to say, is that I've only just properly understood the value of basing my design process on existing ideas. Taking meaning and/or structure from the past, or visions of the future, and using this as a basis from which to build.
The present has its place as the stage in which we build, but as it is just a moment in time it can't possibly produce the unlimited potential that design based on past or future experiences can. These times span forever and are given meaning and depth from the passing of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment