Sunday, March 8, 2009

in response to remix and remixability

Lev Manovich has some interesting points on the topic of the culture of remixing.
The foremost point which stands out to me, is that with the advent of the internet information almost beggs to be remixed.
I personally have always been into quite the opposite. I have a rather "start from scratch" mentality. Which, I might add has always been quite restrictive to my productivity.
The reason I thought this way was that I wanted any work Ive done to be 100% original.
The idea however, that the limitlessness of information combonations leads to an ever perpetuating cycle of creativity, always building up and fowards rather than going back and starting over, does inspire me somewhat.
connecting morphable blocks which have infinate possibilitys, seems quite an exciting idea. Every time you partake in the act of remixing you are creating new blocks from old, opening up another box of infinite ideas for others to play with. The cycle then perpetuates its self when others use your material and then others use thers etc etc.....

As the trend of information communication is heading toward less defined and more modular, information is becoming easier to access and manipulate, creating a huge web of interrelated material. This is quite relevant to our current project, as sourcing remixable content takes on new scope. If care is taken not to infringe upon current copyright laws, material can effectively be pulled from anywhere in this mesh of information.
As information links to information, the chain set out for one to follow turns into a web of interrelated data leading one down a productive mine of discovery.

look.
everything is sourced from everything, links back to everything and most exciting of all creates the foundations for future of everything.

remix and share, it adds to a rich online and offline culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment